WHAT IS IT?
Table Tennis is one of the most popular sports in the world with up to 300 million registered players. Usually played between two players or two teams of two players, bats are used by the players to strike a ball over a net into the opponent’s half of the table. The aim is to ensure your opponent cannot return the ball successfully.
WHY IS IT GOOD FOR ME?
- You’ll get a good workout playing table tennis
- Your reflexes will become sharper
- Your flexibility will be enhanced
- Your mental agility will be honed
- It’s a sport for life for all– with players in their 80s still taking part in table tennis tournaments
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The cost for a session really varies from club to club so this will depend on the fees or subscription charged by the table tennis club you join. It may be best to find out before you go – some clubs run ‘taster’ sessions for beginners that can often be free. Many cities now also have outdoor tables that can be enjoyed for free (preferably on a non-windy day).
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
- Often clubs will provide you with a bat, but if you attend a ‘taster’ session you will need:
- Normal sportswear – track suit bottoms, shorts, polo or T-shirt. If you’re playing in a public park or space, normal clothes will be fine.
- If you play competitively, your club may specify what you wear
- Bats vary greatly in price, but a good bat isn’t very expensive
- Non-marking trainers are perfectly acceptable, but preferably in a dark colour